Healthy dose of pure people power is what the doctor ordered for this Seniors Week
Mind, body and spirit are among the key themes in celebrating a Queensland for all ages in the Isaac region this Seniors Week.
From tai chi, learning about nutrition to sharing stories and being creative through art, there’s something for all ages in Clermont, Dysart, Glenden, Middlemount, Moranbah, Nebo and St Lawrence from August 19.
Isaac Regional Council Mayor said the significant week is a chance for all residents to recognise the knowledge, experience and value older Isaac residents bring to the region.
“I encourage all Isaac residents, regardless of their age, to take part in this year’s Queensland Seniors Week and enjoy the wonderful program of events and activities that make up this important celebration,” she said.
“Seniors Week provides a wonderful opportunity each year for seniors to share and learn new experiences, discover the support and services available in the region, and to develop relationships with residents of all ages. Connecting with older people in our region can help to reduce their social isolation and promotes stronger community networks, so I encourage everyone to get involved and support these great events.”
Isaac Regional Council is proud to host and support these Queensland Senior Week events across the region:
- 19 August from 9am to 10am at Moranbah Library. Using iPads, learn how to download and borrow free audio and e-books plus access free movies and magazines. *
- 19 August from 10am to 12 noon at Moranbah Town Square. Seniors and pre-schoolers are encouraged to gather for a free morning tea followed by some fun interactive play using outside oversize low impact games such as bocce, hookey and ring toss. *
- 19 August from 10.30am to 12 noon at Middlemount Community Hall, Middlemount. This is an event for all ages. Tai chi, a nutritionist, free morning tea and a lucky door prize.
- 19 August from 10.30am to 1pm at Nebo Memorial Hall with a free Garden 2 Plate demonstration and luncheon. Discover the art of herb growing in wicking beds presented by local nursery expert Lynette Keir, then enjoy the tastes and smells of the cooking demonstration presented by Executive Chef Anthony Hicks. *
- 20 August from 9.30am to 10.30am at Nebo Library. Discover e-Libraries with a Borrow Box Workshop and Book Bingo. *
- 20 August from 2pm to 4.30pm at Moranbah Youth and Community Centre. Learn therapeutic technique of Acrylic Flow Art on geometric tiles. The project will come together in one piece of artwork which represents a symbolic map or journey by its contributors and breaks down barriers between aged residents and the youth. *
- 21 August from 9.30am to 11.30am at Nebo Memorial Hall with Time Out Tai Chi, guest speakers, acrylic flow art, recycled birdfeeder crafts, morning tea and Historic Nebo Museum entry. *
- 21 August from 11am at Leo Hotel, Clermont. Seniors are invited to come together to take part in a free luncheon. The two-course meal will be followed by a cent sale and raffles. The event is extremely popular and an opportunity for Clermont residents to connect, share stories and enjoy a day out.
- 21 August from 9.30am to 12.30pm at Moranbah Youth and Community Centre. Join in a game of Hoy, great prizes to be won. For more information contact Hinterland Community Care on 0458 570 308. This event is proudly supported by Isaac Regional Council.
- 22 August from 9.30am to 4pm at Historic Nebo Museum. Free entry. *
- 22 August from 11am at Glenden Recreation Centre. Time Out Tai Chi, recycled birdfeeder craft and light lunch.
- 23 August from 9.30am to 10.30am at Nebo Memorial Hall with Time Out Tai Chi and morning tea. A local Tai Chi instructor will guide you through the low impact moves that can even be done sitting down! *
- 23 August from 10am at the Ausco Stayover Camp, Dysart. The Seniors Week lunch is proudly hosted by Hinterland Community Inc and supported by Isaac Regional Council and Ausco Stayover Camp.
- 30 August from 11am to 2pm at Moranbah Youth and Community Centre. Free luncheon and movie. For more information contact Moranbah District Support Services (MDSS) 07 4941 5164. This event is proudly supported by Isaac Regional Council.
- 4 September between 10am to 2pm at St Lawrence Centenary Hall. Regional Social Development Coalition and the Coastal Community Development Service Neighbourhood Centre with Isaac Regional Council will provide a wide variety of service providers to promote health and wellbeing including tai chi. Morning tea and lunch will be provided. *
* These events are funded by the Queensland Government and supported by COTA Queensland.
For more information about Seniors Week events visit www.isaac.qld.gov.au/seniorsweek, phone 1300 ISAACS (1300 472 227) or visit an Isaac Regional Council office.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Isaac Regional Council PR & Media Officer 4846 3550
07 August 2019