Isaac Regional Council provides the following information about protecting personal information held by it or under its control in order to meet its obligations under the Information Privacy Act 2009.
For more information on Collection and Use of Personal Information (PDF, 219k).
To access Isaac Regional Council's Policies and Procedures on Information Privacy follow the link.
Personal Information under Isaac's Privacy Statement includes any information (whether fact or opinion) whereby your identity is obvious or can be reasonably discovered.
Examples of personal information include (but are not limited to):
- An individual's name, address, telephone number or email address
- An individual's fingerprints
- A photograph of an individual
- Video footage
- An individual's bank account details and leave details
- Letters to and from an individual
- An individual's prior dealings with police
Isaac Regional Council does collect personal information from time to time in order to provide and improve service and to meet its requirements under legislation.
Collecting your personal information
When collecting your personal information, Council will:
- tell you for what purpose we will be collecting the information
- tell you what information is necessary to access Council's products and services, including payments and transactions
- tell you when the information needs to be passed on to Council's contractors and agents who carry out activities on Council's behalf
- not ask for or collect any sensitive information about you unless it is necessary to meet legal, public interest or statistical requirements
- not pass the information on to other entities without your consent unless it is required by law or for public interest
Using your personal information
When you provide Council with your personal information, Council will:
- use the information to help you use Council services
- gather the data for analysis
- remove personally identifiable characteristics, unless you have given us specific consent to recognise your usage on an individual basis
Disclosing your personal information
Council will not disclose your personal information to a third party, unless:
- the individual is reasonably likely to be aware that it is the agency's usual practice to disclose that type of personal information to the third party
- the individual has expressly or impliedly agreed to the disclosure
- the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health, safety or welfare of an individual, or to public health, safety or welfare
- the disclosure is authorised or required under law
- the disclosure is necessary for law enforcement purposes (see below)
However, where a disclosure occurs under one of the exceptions above, Council will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the third party does not use or disclose the information for a purpose other than the purpose for which the information was disclosed to the third party.
Law enforcement purposes include:
- prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences or breaches of laws imposing penalties or sanctions
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of crime proceeds
- protection of the public revenue
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct; and
- the preparation for, or conduct of, court/tribunal proceedings, or implementation of court/tribunal orders.
Security of your personal information
When handling your personal information, Council will:
- take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is securely stored
- monitor transmissions sent to or from Council for quality control and systems administration
- strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access
- operate secure servers to minimise the risk of unauthorised use of your credit card information
Follow this link to download a copy of the Isaac Regional Council Information Security Policy (PDF, 221KB)
Accessing, updating and amending personal information
Under the IP Act 2009 any individual is able to ask us to update their personal information or amend any errors once you have provided evidence of your identity.
Please see the Information Privacy Flowchart (PDF, 8 KB).
To amend your personal information please refer to: Amendment Application
Information Privacy Complaints
You can lodge a privacy related complaint online using Council's Information Privacy Complaint Form (PDF, 109KB).
Use of Isaac Regional Council's Website
When you visit Isaac Regional Council's website, a statistical record of your visit is collected so Council can monitor the use and usefulness of the site.
The information we can log includes:
- Your IP or server's address
- The date and time of your visit
- The pages accessed
- Your operating system (for example Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS X)
- Your web browser version and type (for example Netscape 4)
- The time it has taken to transmit information to you
- The previous Internet site you visited before Council
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation whereby the inspection of Council's web server logs is required by law or by a law enforcement agency. Otherwise, Council does not collect your personal information if you are only browsing this website.
Isaac Regional Council owns or licenses all content on this website and we assert our right to be recognised as the author of original material on this website.
Council supports the sharing of information and the use of the website content for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or review, as permitted under copyright legislation. You are not permitted to reproduce or reuse content on this website for commercial purposes.
From time to time Council will offer residents and community members the option to comment on its plans or direction. Where possible personal information will not be collected however, where it is it will only be used for the purpose stated in the survey. Your personal details will remain confidential and will not be passed onto a third party without your consent.
Participation in Council's online surveys is voluntary.
Council provides an online feedback form as a method of receiving enquires, complaints and compliments. Only personal information allowing relevant Council officers to contact you in regard to your enquiry, complaint or compliment will be collected. Using Council's Compliment and Complaints Feedback form is voluntary.
Follow the link to download a copy of the Isaac Regional Councils Privacy Complaints Procedure Manual (PDF, 123KB)
If you require any further information about information privacy email us at email@example.com using Information Privacy as your subject header.
Alternatively, write to:
The Chief Executive Officer
Isaac Regional Council
PO Box 97
Moranbah QLD 4744