Plumbing Services


Plumbing certification and advice and inspections
Information on existing plumbing work
Backflow Prevention
Compliance Functions
On-site sewerage design
Notifiable Work
Trade Waste

Plumbing Certification and Advice

Isaac Regional Council provides a certification service to approve plumbing work conducted within the Isaac local government area. The certification assessment procedure enables the applicant to gain plumbing approval and ensures that the works complies with the relevant legislation.

Isaac Regional Council's Building and Plumbing Compliance Department provides assessments of plumbing and drainage applications and inspections, for work within the boundaries of an owner's property, pursuant to the current plumbing laws and legislation.  The certification process enables the applicant to gain plumbing approval and ensures that the works comply with the relevant legislation.

Further information regarding the current regulations is available from the Department of Housing and Public Works.

The Isaac Regional Council Plumbing Application Pack (PDF, 251KB) outlines all necessary documentation required to have your plumbing application assessed. The interactive Form 1—Compliance Assessment Application can be found on the Department of Housing and Public Works Website.

Please note that isaac Regional Council has "opted out"  of the fast track application system, and therefore these application types are not available within the region.

Council opt-out of the fast track provisions of the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 therefore allowing 10 days for Compliance Permit assessment of low risk work rather than the 2 days as prescribed under section 40 and publish the decision in accordance with section 41.  Council will not deal with any applications relating to permits for work to be carried out in its local government area as fast -track applications.

QLD Government Approved plumbers and drainers forms

To arrange a plumbing inspection, you must contact the Building and Plumbing Compliance Department on 1300 ISAACS (472227). Please note, a minimum of 48 hours' notice is required as per Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Information on Existing Plumbing Work

Council can supply the following information on request, where current information exists (fees and charges apply):

  • Copies of certificates
  • Plumbing permit searches
  • Copies of "as constructed drainage plans"

Backflow prevention

Our priority is safe drinking water and a major part of this is continual maintenance of backflow prevention devices in our towns and rural areas. Isaac Regional Council's Building and Plumbing Compliance Department therefore maintains a register of all backflow devices within our region to ensure annual tests are undertaken as required.

Council's backflow endorsed Plumbers can perform testing of backflow prevention devices within the Isaac region.

For further information about your obligations regarding maintenance and testing of backflow prevention devices, please view our Backflow Prevention FAQ (PDF, 756KB).

Backflow prevention devices are installed as a requirement under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 and must not be removed. If you believe a device is no longer required, please contact a backflow endorsed Plumber or the Building and Plumbing Compliance team before having the device removed.

If you are a backflow endorsed Plumber and are required to remove a backflow prevention device, please ensure you submit the completed form below to advise Council of this, we can than ensure our register is updated with this information.

Compliance Functions

Council performs enforcement functions under provisions of Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002 (PDF).

On-site Sewerage Design

Isaac Regional Council now offers a design and inspection / testing service for all types of on-site sewerage treatment systems - whether they are just standard septic or aerated treatment systems.

Fill out the On-site Sewerage Design quote application form and our friendly team will contact you.

Find out more about our onsite sewerage design and inspection service (PDF, 408KB).

Notifiable Work

On 1 November 2012, a new category of plumbing and drainage work called 'notifiable work' commenced. Notifiable work extends the amount of work a plumber or drainer can perform without a local government permit or mandatory inspections.

Notifiable work is defined in schedule 2 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 (PDF). It includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including:

  • kitchen and bathroom additions and renovations;
  • installing or replacing hot water heaters including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heaters;
  • installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home;
  • extending or altering pipe work.

For more information on what is considered notifiable works see the Schedule of Notifiable Works (PDF) on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

Trade Waste

Trade waste is any water-borne waste from business, trade or manufacturing premises. This does not include waste that is a prohibited substance, human waste or stormwater, under the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.

Businesses throughout the Isaac Region generate and therefore need to dispose of liquid wastes; this discharge must be managed by Isaac Regional Council’s sewerage infrastructure and treatment facilities. Council must protect its infrastructure and health of its staff by setting guidelines for what can and cannot enter the sewage treatment system. As such businesses must seek approval before discharging waste water to Council infrastructure or facilities.

All commercial and service industry businesses that discharge to sewer are required to apply for and hold a Trade Waste Approval. This approval allows businesses to discharge liquid waste to Isaac Regional Council sewer. There are strict acceptance criteria which all discharge must meet, these requirements are listed within the Trade Waste Environmental Management Procedure. Discharge which does not comply with the Trade Waste Environmental Management Procedure is required to be pre-treated before being discharged.

Isaac Regional Council has a Trade Waste Policy (PDF, 999KB) and a Trade Waste Environmental Management Procedure (PDF, 2.22MB) which outline how liquid trade waste will be managed within the region.

If your business generates liquid waste and discharges it to Council’s sewer system, you will need lodge an Application for Trade Waste Approval (PDF, 753KB).

If you need to cancel your existing Trade Waste Approval, you will need to lodge a Cancellation of Trade Waste Approval form (PDF, 271KB).

Council has put together some information fact sheets relating to trade waste and they can be found in the Trade Waste Applications & Fact Sheets box above.

For more information contact Council’s Community Education & Compliance Department for assistant on 1300 ISAACS (1300 472 227).