Council Elections 2020
Local Government Election date: Saturday 28 March 2020
The following are the key dates for potential candidates and voters. If you want to register to vote or change your details you will need to do this by Friday 28 February 2020.
- Notice of election: Saturday 22 February 2020
- Close candidate nominations: 12pm Tuesday 3 March 2020
- Ballot draw: 10am Wednesday 4 March 2020
- Pre-polling booths: To be Advised (estimated 16-27 March 2020)
- Election (Polling) Day: Saturday 28 March 2020 (8am – 6pm)
- Cut-off for return of Postal votes: Tuesday 7 April 2020
The Queensland Government is pursuing a rolling reform agenda to strengthen the transparency, accountability and integrity measures that apply to the system of local government and elections in Queensland.
This means there are some changes that candidates for the 2020 election need to be ready for, even if you are an existing mayor or councillor or you have been a candidate before.